GLACC invites applications (resume and cover letter) from college students interested in a multi-faceted internship opportunity. Review the information below and email application materials to email@example.com by Wednesday, September 16, 2015.
The mission of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s Clean Cities Initiative is to advance the nation’s economic, environmental, and energy security by supporting local decisions to adopt practices that contribute to the reduction of petroleum consumption. Greater Lansing Area Clean Cities (GLACC) is the local coalition working toward that mission in Michigan’s capitol region. We facilitate projects and provide resources for coalition members to leverage their own skills, develop joint projects, collaborate on public policy issues, and promote alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs), fuel blends, idle reduction, hybrids, and fuel economy.
The GLACC Clean Cities Intern/Program Assistant works with GLACC’s Coalition Coordinator to accomplish the goals of the coalition. The Intern/Program Assistant helps plan and conduct local events, plan and conduct social media campaigns, and assists with projects to reduce petroleum usage in mid-Michigan. This position is unpaid (course credit is available), part-time, temporary (10 hrs/week; approx. September 20, 2015 – May 6, 2016).
GLACC 2015 – 2016 INTERN/PROGRAM ASSISTANT ACTIVITY AREAS
- Assist with fund development through donor outreach & attraction, member outreach & attraction, and supporting grant proposal development;
- Assist with communication and marketing of the coalition, including web-based, print, and live education and outreach to targeted groups/audiences and the general public and consistent social media visibility
- Assist in the development of partnerships with local organizations to encourage a transition to clean fuels and vehicles, and/or fuel saving practices
- Assist the Coalition Coordinator in meeting U.S. DOE Support Contract deliverables, such as the annual petroleum reduction survey, events & meetings, and education & outreach activities
Through specific projects…
- Motivate coalition stakeholders to attend regular meetings, as well as participate in projects
- Represent the Coalition, and communicate effectively in a variety of public and private forums, including meetings, fundraisers/events, and electronically
- Assist in educating the public to promote fuel efficiency practices and influence current driver trends
- Assist with educating stakeholders through e-newsletters and electronic messaging about related legislation and regulations, new technologies, etc.
- Assist with generating positive, frequent media coverage
- Maintain the Coalition stakeholder mail and email distribution lists
This position requires a basic understanding of the National Clean Cities Initiative as sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy and the development of a basic understanding of legislation, such as the Clean Air Act and the Energy Policy Act, which affect GLACC’s efforts and allow the coalition to operate.
The Intern/Program Assistant shall be an excellent communicator, motivated, creative, organized, and have a general understanding of alternative fuels and advanced vehicles (e.g., hybrid electric vehicles, AFVs, idle reduction, etc.). Candidates shall also have experience with the following:
- Planning, organizing, and managing multiple priorities (e.g. work, homework, and/or extra-curriculars);
- Working with a minimal amount of supervision (e.g. reliable – can get things done and asks questions/communicates effectively with colleagues);
- Knowledge of environmental/ecological principles (e.g. cares about a healthy planet!);
- Research, evaluation and analytic skills (e.g. research papers, science projects, etc.);
- Ability to prepare and present technical materials to a wide variety of audiences (e.g. good at explaining things to others who may not be familiar with the topic(s) at hand);
- Excellent computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, databases and website development